I’m sure that there are many reasons that books are constructed the way they are, but here is a list of 10 preferences I would enjoy seeing.
- Colored pages. Black text and white paper, easy to read i get it… why can’t a baby blue and white work just the same?
- Glossy pages. You see it in picture books but why isn’t it more wide spread? It feels nicer, it’s more pleasing to the eye. I’m sure it’s more expensive, but it could be worth it.
- Textured covers. Covers with various textures. Maybe leather, maybe cardboard, maybe metal, maybe wood etc.
- Pages that flip up and down rather from left to right.
- Improved book covers/sleeves. On hardcover books, the plastic sleeve (that the name of escapes me) always always always gets in the way, it’s not comfortable. Do better.
- Built in book markers. The plastic covers work as very poor book markers. The cover of the book should always have a tassel that acts as a book marker but maybe is even cooler than a traditional tassel, maybe it’s leather or hemp etc.
- Shaped pages. A book in which every page is a different shape. Figures, animals, buildings, people, etc. The text will wrap accordingly.
- Scratch and sniff pages. Not sure how it would be applicable, but people are creative.
- Glow in the dark pages. Sell with a flashlight. People have to read it in dark.
- Secret code puzzle book. opening the book is a puzzle. like a rubix cube.